Saturday, January 9, 2010

JEHOVAH JIREH

“Abraham called the name
of that place Jehovah-jireh:
as it is said to this day,
In the mount of the LORD
it shall be seen.”
Genesis 22:14 KJV
~~~~~~

“Jehovah” is the personal name of God, and is traditionally translated “LORD” in English. “Jireh” conveys the idea “will provide” and literally means “will see to it.” In other words - The LORD will see to it that the need will be provided for. Genesis 22 is the account of God providing Abraham with a ram as a substitute sacrifice in place of his son Isaac. And in response Abraham names the place “Jehovah-jireh.”

“Jehovah Jireh My provider
His grace is sufficient
For me, for me, for me
Jehovah Jireh My provider
His grace is sufficient for me.

My God shall supply all my needs
According to his riches in glory
He will give His angels
Charge over me
Jehovah Jireh cares
For me, for me, for me
Jehovah Jireh cares for me.”
By Don Moen

The God of Abraham is also our provider. If we walk in obedient faith as he did, the LORD “will see to it” that our need will be met, no matter how desperate it may be. May we be encouraged by this truth as we face the uncertainties of 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Iver and Donna,
Thanks for your reminder that God provided and continues to provide; I only want to highlight the proviso "IF we walk in obedience to Him". There is a sort of "risk-reward" nature to his provision. Abraham traveled for 3 days by donkey before he saw the place of sacrifice to which God had directed him, the place he later called Jehovah Jireh. That wasn't enough though, he and Isaac still had to walk on further, presumably up the mountain to a place a donkey couldn't navigate, carrying the wood, build an altar, and prepare to sacrifice Isaac, before God interrupted his obedience with a ram to be rescued from the thicket that would become the sacrifice. That's a heaping bit of obedience and sacrifice!
I make this emphasis out of concern that we can easily get lulled into the notion that "God will take care of this or that" while I rest, retire, or otherwise have a jolly good time.

No, Jehovah is not a Santa Claus. I think of Jehovah Jireh as a reminder of His providing, in the past tense, and knowing he CAN provide for my future if I WILL....
Wishing you His blessings in the New Year, Don