Saturday, May 2, 2009

STARTING THE DAY WITH A SONG

“But as for me,
I will sing about your power.
Each morning I will sing with joy
about your unfailing love.
For you have been my refuge,
a place of safety when I am in distress.”
Psalm 59:16 NLT
~~~~~~

I remember as a youngster, standing on the roof of a small building on our farm, singing gospel songs. I can still see myself walking down the cow path singing the theme song of the Stamps Baxter Quartet from Del Rio Texas – “Give the world a smile each day - Helping someone on life's way - From the paths of sin bring the wanderers in - To the master's fold to stay -----.“ My parents had a Pump Organ, around which the family learned to sing in harmony. Singing has always been an important part of my life.

Whatever our musical ability may be, most everyone can make a joyful noise to the Lord, if not vocally, then at least mentally. Songs focused on His nature, and His loving deeds, are always comforting and encouraging.

We are living in trying times. Expressing our Christian convictions increasingly puts us at odds with political correctness. Financial uncertainties are mounting by the day. Added to those concerns, we may have health or relational issues to deal with. We could use “a refuge and a place of safety in our distress.” David’s life was surrounded with all sorts of dangers and problems, and he decided to start each day with singing to the Lord. He sang about “God’s power and unfailing love in which he experienced safe refuge.”

Seems to me singing to the Lord would also be a good way for us to start the day. Waking up to Christian music - humming or singing to the Lord as we get cleaned up – adding a praise song to our devotions – singing songs of faith on our way to work. All of these, or at least one of them, could help us start our day with an awareness that God is our “refuge and a place of safety in our time of distress.”

Let’s Pray-
Father, naturally we are inclined to be preoccupied with our problems. Please forgive us. Grant us grace to start each day focused on your unfailing love, and so find a safe refuge in you.
Amen



Foot Note:
I led church worship for more than thirty years. From time to time I sang solos. When singing with others, bass or some other harmony part, comes naturally. For the past eight or nine years I have had a throat problem that keeps me from being able to sing more than a line or two. Some day in the Lord’s presence, I will sing at the top of my voice – unhindered - to His glory!!!

No comments: