Saturday, July 27, 2013

PEACEFUL SLEEP IN TROUBLED TIMES


But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
   My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
      And He heard me from His holy hill.
        I lay down and slept;
       I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
Psalm 3:3-5 NKJV
~~~~~

I read the other day on a Health Website that “One in 10 Americans have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, and 42 million prescriptions for sleeping pills were filled last year, an increase of almost 60 percent over only five years.” A lot of issues are troubling our minds.

While for some people a medical condition may be the cause of their sleep problem – for others sleeplessness is caused by worry and fear. Their minds are filled with “what if questions.” What if – the economy keeps getting worse - I lose my job – we lose the house – this lump under my arm turns out to be cancer – and on and on.  The enemy of our soul doesn’t run short of ideas with which to torment our minds and rob us of peace and sound sleep.

David wrote Psalm 3 when he was fleeing from his son Absalom who was out to kill him and take over the throne. That sort of situation could cause sleepless nights for most anyone. In utter humiliation he is running for his life from his own son. But, instead of focusing on his problem - ten thousand men who were determined to cut off his head - David chose to fix his thoughts on the Lord and cries out to Him. Remarkably it’s not a plea for help, rather it’s an acknowledgment of who God is. “Thou, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.” With that confession he laid down and went to sleep. In the morning he woke up safe and sound. The Lord had been his shield of protection. In another Psalm David says, “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.”

David’s focus on God’s provision instead of the danger he faces, gives us a good clue as to how we can overcome the doubts and fears that at times threaten to rob us of sleep. Isaiah agrees and testifies, “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!” Paul joins right in and exhorts us, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” Not surprisingly, Peter agrees with David and Paul and says, “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”
                                                                                
“Now may the Lord of peace himself give you his peace at all times and in every situation.”


Click on: THOU OH LORD ARE A SHIELD FOR ME – turn up the sound and let it bless your heart.

No comments: