Saturday, July 31, 2010

BUT GOD

“My health may fail,
and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength
of my heart; he is mine forever.”
Psalm 73:26 NLT
~~~~~~

The other day I was reading Acts 7, and was struck with how often Stephen used the words but God in this chapter. In checking I learned that the phrase but God appears at least 50 different times in the Old and New Testaments. The words but God indicate that he is in control, he has the final word. He has made a difference in the past - is making a difference now– and will continue to make a difference in our world and in our personal lives forever.

Pondering this thought brought to mind a number of times when God intervened in my life bringing about wonderful results. My mother who had given birth to 10 children was in her 50’s when she was pregnant with me and felt so embarrassed that she tried to abort me – “but God“ protected my life and safely brought me into this world.

In my teens I was heading down the broad road of sin - “but God“ - had different plans for me. At the age of 21 his Holy Spirit convicted me of my sin and granted me grace to repent and trust Jesus Christ as my savior.

While attending Electrical Trades School I got a “Dear John” letter from my girl friend. My attempts to patch up the relationship failed. “But God” had someone else in mind for me. At the suggestion of my pastor, I enrolled at Sioux Falls College where I met and married Donna, the Sweetheart of my life, and the mother of our three precious children!

My intention at college was to prepare for a teaching career. “But God“ – opened an opportunity to teach an adult Sunday School Class which led into preaching every week – which led to changing my major from education to religion and graduating from The North American Baptist Seminary to enter the full time Gospel Ministry!

After 30 years of service in NAB churches, I received the fullness of the Holy Spirit by faith, and understandably, the denomination saw that as my having departed from the traditional Baptist Faith and so they severed relationships with me. “But God,“ has been more real and precious to me than ever and opened other avenues of service! I am in my 80’s now - “My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.”


I am sure you have had “but God“ experiences which would be an encouragement to the readers of this blog.
Please feel free to post some as “comments.”

1 comment:

Patty@Heaven said...

I'm from El Salvador, my brother was kill in the civil war, and after that my parents were worried about my sister and I, so they started the plans to moved us to the US.
I was a teen, I just got my first job, I had many friends and a boyfriend :-)
I didn't want to move to a country that I didn't know, and worse a country that spoke a different language. Those were very scary days for my sister and I.
We tried to convince our parents why we should stay, but they didn't listen...we were angry.

BUT GOD had different plans for me.

Finally we moved to the US. We made this country our new home, in 1984 I got married, we had a wonderful son (now he is a Sargent in the Air Force).
My husband and I got divorce in 1987...now I know that my marriage was my parents plans and not God's plans.

In 1993 met the one who's my husband now. He is a very caring and responsible Christian husband. We have 2 great children.

God's blessings have been pouring in my life since I came to the US.

BUT GOD'S plans were better than mine, and they still are.

Bless you
Patty@heaven.