Saturday, May 8, 2010

SHARING THE WAY OF SALVATION

“You will receive power when
the Holy Spirit comes upon you.
And you will be my witnesses,
telling people about me everywhere.”
Acts 1:8 NLT
~~~~

In the early 50’s Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ wrote “The Four Spiritual Laws.”
“1. God loves you and offers a wonderful plan for your life.
2. Man is sinful and separated from God. Therefore, he cannot know and experience God's love and plan for his life.
3. Jesus Christ is God's only provision for man's sin. Through Him you can know and experience God's love and plan for your life.
4. We must individually receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; then we can know and experience God's love and plan for our lives.” After each “Law” Bright lists supporting scriptures.

In many communities, training sessions were held where people practiced on each other, then went out to share the “Four Laws” with non Christians. I recall being part of a team which was sent out to a small town to share the “Laws” with anyone and everyone who would listen. We knocked on doors – stopped people on the street – I shared the gospel with a utility man while he was hanging in his ‘Safety Harness’ at the top of a pole. He prayed the prayer! Whether he was sincere, only God knows.

We both know there are more conventional and acceptable ways of witnessing than sharing the gospel with someone at the top of a telephone pole. However we go about it, Jesus promises “when the Holy Spirit comes upon you…you will be my witnesses.” Peter instructs us, “if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.”

The most natural situation to share our faith is when our friends notice a difference in us, and start asking questions. If we are prepared to explain the way of salvation, and rely on the Holy Spirit to empower us, we are equipped to witness to anyone, a longtime friend or someone whom we have just met. Doing our part, we can leave the results in the hands of God.

1 comment:

Patty@Heaven said...

Your encouragement couldn't come in a better time for me.
God is been putting in my heart to teach at the Women Breakfast. I was afraid to ask pastor's wife to schedule me, but God was telling me "it is time".
So I talked to her last Sunday and she was so happy that I had asked, so she'd schedule me for Saturday May 15.
I was concern at the beginning, but now I'm just waiting for the Holy Spirit to give me the words.

Please pray for me,
That whatever I have to share will come from God and not from me.

God Bless
Patty.