Saturday, March 6, 2010

WORDS

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you, O Lord,
my rock and my redeemer.”
Psalm 19:14 NLT
~~~~~

It is commonly claimed that women talk more than men, and there may be some validity to that, but it doesn’t take much of a search to find a guy who does most of the talking while his wife quietly stands by. I suppose personality has something to do with how much we talk.

The more we talk the more we are apt to stretch the truth about ourselves, and belittle others by passing on their secrets. Proverbs 10:19 is quite blunt about this – “Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.” Whoa, that hurts!!

Words have incredible power to bring about positive or negative results. Again, Proverbs says, “Kind words are like honey—sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.” We all have experienced the warm healing affects of kind words– making us feel appreciated, and loved. We also have felt the sting and demeaning power of angry and hate filled words. Being totally honest, we probably have to admit, our words do not always bring warmth and healing – too often they can have a tinge of bitterness to them, and cause pain to those we love most.

Jesus said, “What you say flows from what is in your heart.” So whether we are people of few or many words, it’s our words that convey our thoughts and feelings and define who we really are.

I don’t know about you, but from time to time I need to pray the Psalmist’s prayer: “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”


CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW, and let it minister to your heart.
CHANGE MY HEART OH GOD

4 comments:

Jim Walter said...

Iver and Donna-- Thanks so much for your faithfulness in sending out your weekly blog. We have been blessed and instructed by your thoughts expressed so well. The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you.

docstookey said...

Iver,
Interesting that the topic of "words" caught our respective attentions this past week. I'm the wordy husband you write about in today's blog; everyone wants the full boring details, don't they?! Wives, who heard it before and know their husband's thought, excluded! So goes the engineer's thought until confronted with Psalm 19:14 and Prov 10:19! So Iver, today's Blog should be under the category "For Your Admonition"!

Your NLT version of Prov. 10:19 is predictive (too many words lead to sin). I am reading the NIV (and since was prompted to examine other translations). They are more cautionary or judgemental statements as in "When words are many, sin is not absent"! That is where I digressed to wander this verse's incrimination of the 2600 page health care bill Congress is considering! But I had best apply your NLT Prov 10:19 and get back to Psalm 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditations ... "
Love, joy, and peace,
Don

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great reminder, Iver!

Mark Bowman said...

Iver and Donna,
Thanks for enriching my life so much through your blog. I enjoy it every week.